General Scholarship Information
Matthews Playhouse is pleased to offer partial scholarships to qualifying students for all Classes and Summer Camps. Scholarships will be granted to those families who demonstrate a strong financial need, and who would otherwise be unable to participate in our classes/camps. Eligible families generally receive scholarships covering 20% - 90% of tuition. All families, with exceptions granted only in the most extreme cases, will be required to pay a minimum of 20% of tuition costs.
Scholarship Criteria and Conditions
The following household size and income standards are used to determine eligibility:
|Total Household Size*||Yearly Income||Monthly Income|
* Household includes all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.
Occasionally, extenuating circumstances may determine scholarship eligibility. If your circumstances do not match the income listed above, you may still be eligible. Indicate your circumstances on the application form and attach an explanation of the special circumstances.
|IMPORTANT: Families applying for financial aid must submit a minimum deposit of $25 per class/camp per student at the time of application before a financial aid determination can be made. This amount secures the student's place in the class/camp while the financial aid application is under consideration and will be applied to the balance due on the class/camp. This deposit is refundable if your application is denied, or if you do not accept the financial aid award.|
How to Apply For a Class/Camp Scholarship
- Review the class/camp information and availability to find the best class/camp for your child.
- Carefully read over the Scholarship Criteria and Conditions (see above).
- Download and print a copy of the scholarship application.
- Fill out the scholarship application. To be considered, the entire application must be completed.
- Include a copy of your most recent tax return.
- NOTE: THE TAX RETURN WILL BE SHREDDED IMMEDIATELY AFTER REVIEW
- Mail all of the requisite information along with a $25 deposit to:
100 McDowell Street
Matthews, NC 28105
- Once we receive your completed application, tax return and $25 deposit, you will receive a code which will allow you to register for the class/camp, and this code number will reserve your space(s) in the class/camp until the scholarship committee can review your application.
- The family will receive notification approximately 10-12 business days after the submission deadline. To guarantee consideration, completed applications must be received in our office no later than the following dates:
For Fall Classes - September 1st
For Summer Camps - May 15th
- Once the scholarship committee has reviewed the application, you will be notified of your financial aid decision including the balance due (if any) and the due date. The Registration Fee is included in the scholarship award. However, payment balances must be paid by the due date designated in the award email or the student's name will be removed from the class/camp list.
Additional Facts about Financial Assistance
--Scholarships are awarded based on need. There is a limited amount of scholarship funds available.
--Students must arrive on time for class. Excessive tradiness could affect future scholarship eligibility and may result in dismissal from class.
--Students must attend at least 80% of classes. If a student has 1 unexcused absence per weekly camp, the child will be ineligible for scholarship for a one-year period. In case of emergency, call the Matthews Playhouse office (704-846-8343) as soon as possible.
--Inappropriate behavior in class could affect future scholarship eligibility and may result in dismissal from class.
--Students are eligible for only ONE scholarship per session/per student for the Fall and Winter Sessions and up to a TWO (2) camp maximum for the Summer Camp Session/per student.
--Scholarship requests need to be submitted for each session for which you are seeking assistance. Requests do NOT carry over from session to session.
--No faxed applications will be accepted. All requests must be mailed to Matthews Playhouse or dropped off in person at the Matthews Playhouse office.